Divorce free pre-read
Divorce is the legal ending of a marriage and requires an order to be obtained from the Family Court. Married couples can apply to the Family Court for a divorce 12 months after separation. Australia is a “no fault” jurisdiction for divorce. The grounds for divorce are that the marriage has irretrievably broken down which is evidenced by the parties living separately and apart for continuous period of 12 months.
We invite you to provide everything you would like to tell our lawyers during your first appointment, as well as any questions you have. Some of the information that may be useful could include:
- The name and address of both you and your former partner;
- A brief history of the relationship;
- When you and your former partner began living together;
- The date you were married;
- When you and your former partner separated;
- When your former partner might think you separated;
- Whether there were any previous periods of separation;
- The name and ages of any children;
- What parenting arrangements are in place;
- Any assets, liabilities and superannuation you or your former partner have;
- What contributions you and your former partner made during the relationship;
- The respective future needs for you and your former partner; and
- Details of any Court orders in place.
You may also want to partially complete an Application for Divorce prior to your appointment. We can read your partially completed divorce application as part of your free pre-read.
To partially complete your application for divorce, download the Family Court of Western Australia’s Divorce Kit. Complete as much as you can of the divorce application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org as part of your free pre-read.