Separation and Divorce

If your marriage has irretrievably broken down, you may choose to apply for a divorce.

Before a divorce order can be granted, you will need to demonstrate to the Family Court that you and your spouse have been separated for 12 months or more.

During this 12 month period, you and your spouse could have lived in separate residences, or you may have been separated while still living under one roof.

If there are children of the marriage who are under the age of 18, you will need to inform the Court of the care arrangements in place for the children.

An application for divorce can be made by one party to the marriage, or you may make a joint application with your spouse.

Our Legal Practitioner Director Shannon Bodeker has worked exclusively in family law for over 15 years and can assist you with your divorce following the breakdown of your marriage. We can also provide assistance with your property settlement and/or children’s matters. An application for property settlement and/or spouse maintenance needs to be made within 12 months following a divorce order being made.

We provide our clients with a complimentary pre-read prior to their first appointment, which saves considerable time and legal fees. In your free background email, we invite you to tell us everything you believe is relevant to your family law matter. You may like to provide us with information regarding your separation and divorce, including:

  •  The duration of your marriage;
  • The date you separated from your spouse;
  • Whether there are any periods where you and your spouse resumed cohabitation following separation;
  • Whether there are any children of the marriage, and if so, the current arrangements for the children;
  • Details evidencing your separation if you have been separated under one roof; and
  • Any other information you believe is relevant to your situation.

This information can be sent to us via email, fax or similar and will be read on a complimentary basis by Shannon Bodeker prior to your first family law appointment.

Please note this is not family law advice. It is important to seek specific family law advice. We are very experienced Perth family lawyers and can provide you with the very best legal advice regarding your divorce.

Email our Legal Practitioner Director Shannon Bodeker at now for your complimentary pre-read and your first appointment at a reduced rate.