Obtaining A Passport For Your Child To Travel Overseas After Separation Or Divorce

Does a child need their own passport?

Every person, including children and babies, must have their own passport in order to travel overseas.

Who needs to give consent for a child obtaining a passport?

Any person having ‘parental responsibility’ for the child must give their consent in writing.

What is ‘parental responsibility’?

This is defined by the Family Law Act 1975 as referring to ‘all the duties, powers, responsibilities and authority which, by law, parents have in relation to children’. This obligation continues until the child reaches 18 years of age.

What if I can’t obtain the other parent’s consent?

It can be difficult to obtain the other parent’s consent, and accordingly there may be special circumstances which allow for the passport to be granted. If you wish for your child to have a passport and are having trouble obtaining the other parent’s consent, you should seek family law advice from an experienced family law solicitor.

Prior to your appointment, we invite you to send us an email, fax or similar outlining your situation in as much detail as you like. This information will be read on a complimentary basis prior to your first family law appointment.

Please note this is not family law advice. It is important to seek specific family law advice. We are very experienced Perth family law solicitors and can provide you with the very best legal advice.

Email our Legal Practitioner Director Shannon Bodeker at info@bodekers.com.au now for your complimentary pre-read and your first appointment at a reduced rate.