Child Recovery, Relocation, Abduction – Perth Family Law

After a holiday one parent may fail to return a child or children to the other parent.

Advice about recovery orders, relocation and child abduction may be needed.

In SCA & Castillo [2015] FamCA 792 the children visited their father in Australia, from New Zealand.

The father claimed that the move was permanent, but the mother insisted it was only a holiday. It turned out that the mother may have intended it to be permanent, and later changed her mind.

The court determined that the children were “habitually residence” in New Zealand but were settled in Australia. The children also objected to going back to New Zealand.

The children were allowed to stay in Australia, pending a detailed examination of each parent’s parenting case.

Child relocation matters can be complex. We therefore recommend you seek legal advice from one of our Perth family lawyers. We invite you to discuss your particular matter with our Legal Practitioner Director, Ms. Shannon Bodeker, who has High Court experience in relocation matters.

Prior to your first appointment, you may send us an email, fax or similar, outlining your situation in as much detail as you like. This information will be read on a complimentary basis prior to your first family law appointment.

Please note this is not family law advice. It is important to seek advice specific to your circumstances. We are very experienced Perth family law solicitors and can provide you with the very best legal advice regarding relocation matters.

Email our Legal Practitioner Director, Shannon Bodeker at, for your complimentary pre-read and first appointment at a reduced rate.