Moving Interstate With Child – Perth Divorce Lawyer

A court may allow a parent to relocate with their child if it is satisfied that it will be in the child’s best interests.

In Carter-Patton and Baker [2016] FCWA 7, the father sought to move from Perth to Adelaide with their five-year-old son. The child had a good relationship with both parents, though he lived with the father and spent time with the mother on weekends due to her work commitments.

The court allowed the father to relocate with the child as he was primary caregiver, amongst other reasons.

The court’s opinion was that it would be less disruptive to move the child to Adelaide and stay with the father, than stay in Perth and change routine to live with the mother.

Child relocation matters can be complex. We therefore recommend you seek legal advice from one of our very experienced Perth family lawyers. We invite you to discuss your particular matter with our Legal Practitioner Director, Ms. Shannon Bodeker, who has been working in family law for over 20 years.

Prior to your first appointment, you may send us an email, fax or similar, outlining your situation in as much detail as you like. This information will be read on a complimentary basis prior to your first family law appointment. We get to know you and your family law matter before we meet.

Please note this is not family law advice. It is important to seek advice specific to your circumstances. We are very experienced Perth family law solicitors and can provide you with the very best legal advice regarding relocation matters.

Email our Legal Practitioner Director, Shannon Bodeker at, for your complimentary pre-read and first appointment at a reduced rate.