Family Law Injunctions: Managing Who Looks After Your Child

In divorce and separation, ex-partners will likely meet new partners or significant others. The more important and integrated this person becomes in the ex-spouses’ life, the more access they may have to your children. Parents may want to exercise control over who is looking after their children, especially in cases of re-partnering when the child … Read more

Benefits of Using Mediation During Divorce

If you are considering divorce, there is a lot to think about. Mediation can be an excellent way to keep the process as manageable and stress-free as possible. Mediators like Shannon Bodeker have years of experience in this field and will work with both parties to come up with solutions that they agree upon. Mediation … Read more

Family Violence Restraining Orders and Child Custody

A Family Violence Restraining Order should not necessarily stop a child from spending time with their parent. Under Australian family law, a child has a right to enjoy a meaningful relationship with both of their parents and be protected from harm.  Whilst a Family Violence Restraining Order can provide relief and safety to victims of … Read more

We Are Now Members of The Family Law Practitioners Association!

The Family Law Practitioners Association (or the FLPA) is the law industry’s leading professional non-profit organisation. They represent over 1,000 family law practitioners around Australia. Now that Bodekers Family Law is an official FLPA member we receive several benefits that help us strengthen our own family law services.  As a nonprofit, professional association, FLPA aspires … Read more

What is Spousal Maintenance?

After the separation of a marriage or de facto relationship, in some situations, a spouse may be entitled to receive (or may be required to pay) spousal maintenance.  The primary purpose of spousal maintenance is to adjust for any disparity between the incomes or earning capacities of spouses based on their respective needs.  Under section … Read more

How a Divorce Lawyer Can Minimise the Impact of Separation on Children

Divorce is hard in almost every situation but it becomes even more difficult when children are involved. Parents separating can be extremely destabilising and confusing for children. This distress can be minimised. Research has shown that negative outcomes for children are not inevitable and there are many things that can be done to reduce risk … Read more

LGBTQI Family Lawyer Perth

Same-sex or LGBTQI parents should never be discriminated against. In Perth Family Law, same-sex or LGBTQI parents have the same rights as all parents. Their children ordinarily have the same rights as other children. In most cases, parents will share parental responsibility. Equal Shared Parental Responsibility Section 61DA of the Family Law Act presumes that ... Read more