Family Law and Child Support

February 25, 2016 – at 6:31 am – by Bodekers Family Lawyers

What is child support?

Child support is financial support, paid by one parent (the payer) to the other parent or carer (payee) of the child or children.

Do you have to be the child’s parent to receive child support?

No – a carer may include the child’s or children’s grandparents, relatives or friends, who have the care of the child or children.

How is child support assessed?

The Department of Human Services (Child Support) is the government body that makes an administrative assessment, based on several factors.

What factors influence the amount of child support paid by the payer?

The amount in each case is unique, although both parents’ income is taken into account. In addition, the amount of time the payer spends with the child or children is relevant, as well as whether the payer has other children that need his/her financial support.

What happens if the payer’s circumstances change once an assessment has been made?

Your case may be reviewed by applying for a ‘change of assessment’.

Child support can be a very complex issue.  This can be determined by discussing your particular situation with Shannon Bodeker, who is an experienced family law solicitor, with extensive knowledge of child support issues.

We invite you to send us an email, fax or similar outlining your situation in as much detail as you like. This information will be read on a complimentary basis prior to your first family law appointment.

Please note this is not family law advice. It is important to seek specific family law advice. We are very experienced Perth family law solicitors and can provide you with the very best legal advice regarding your child support matter.

Email our Legal Practitioner Director Shannon Bodeker at now for your complimentary pre-read and your first appointment at a reduced rate.