Moving with Children Perth

May 17, 2017 – at 12:08 pm – by Bodekers Family Lawyers
parental rights lawyer perth - bodekers

Perth Child Relocation – Changing Where You Live and Moving with Children

If you are planning on moving with children and the move will impact on the children’s other parent spending time with the child, then you may need to get the other parent’s permission or an order from the Family Court.

If you already have an order from the Family Court that states that you cannot move or relocate you may need to seek legal advice.

The ability to move with your children will depend on where you want to move to and what plans you make for the other parent to see the child.

Perth Child Relocation – Parenting orders and Moving with Children

If there are parenting orders in place about a child that allow a person access to the child, you should not do things that would prevent that access. This means that unless the other person agrees, you should not move with a child in a way that restricts this access.

If you are thinking about moving with children, seek legal advice to discuss your circumstances.

Perth Child Relocation – Moving with Children without Permission

If you only move a short distance away and it does not affect the other person spending time with your child, they may not do anything about the move. However, if there are orders that stop you from moving, there may be consequences.

If you are planning on moving interstate or overseas or another move that will affect the way the other parent or person spends time with your child, you should either get the other parent to agree or ask the Family Court for an order allowing you to move

If you are thinking about moving with children, we recommend that you seek legal advice from an experienced legal practitioner.

Shannon’s special interest is child relocation and she completed her Honours thesis “The Freedom of Movement of Residential Parents (and others) subsequent to the Family Law Reform Act 1995 (Cth)” in this area. In 1998 she was involved in the landmark High Court case AMS v AIF; AIF v AMS (1999).

Her thesis was cited by His Honour Justice Kirby in that case.

Prior to you first appointment, you may send us an email outlining your situation in as much detail as you like. This information will be pre-read on a complimentary basis prior to your first appointment at a reduced rate with our Child Relocation Perth lawyers.