Overseas Child Support – Law in Perth

April 5, 2016 – at 12:29 am – by Bodekers Family Lawyers

Some people might believe that relocating overseas means they escape child support. Thanks to international laws in force in Australia, this may not be case.

The case of Orzel & Orzel [2015] FCCA 1941 dealt with the application by a father to alter the Orders made by a European court requiring him to pay child support to the mother whilst her and her child are living overseas.

The Convention on the Recovery Abroad of Maintenance gave the wife the ability to apply for child support as she would if both parties were in Australia, and also gave the husband the ability to apply to have it altered, as he would here.

Child maintenance proceedings can be complex. We therefore recommend you seek legal advice from one of our experienced family law solicitors. We invite you to discuss your particular situation with our Legal Practitioner Director, Ms. Shannon Bodeker, who is very experienced in the area of child maintenance.

Prior to your first appointment, you may send us an email, fax or similar, outlining your situation in as much detail as you like. This information will be read on a complimentary basis prior to your first family law appointment.

Please note this is not family law advice. It is important to seek specific family law advice. We are very experienced Perth family law solicitors and can provide you with the very best legal advice regarding child maintenance.

Email our Legal Practitioner Director Shannon Bodeker at info@bodekers.com.au now for your complimentary pre-read and your first appointment at a reduced rate.